Let’s talk snacks. Snacking is one of the hardest things to control. Even with all the meal prep, a sudden night time craving or the 3pm blues, can derail you. Sometimes life gets busy and you are on the go all day and just not prepared for when hunger strikes. Most of us experience those moments of weakness, where we reach for the goodies hidden in the back of the cupboard or grab whatever is quick and easiest. But a little prep work to make sure that there are some healthy snack options on hand can help us stay on track.
Below are some of my favourite go to snacks. Most are easily packable for our busy on-the-go life.
• Veggies with hummus or guacamole dip
• Unsalted almonds/cashews
• Homemade trail mix – dried cranberries, unsalted almonds, walnuts, dark chocolate chips, seeds. Pick and choose your favourites, and mix. Creating your own mix can help reduce the amount of sodium, sugar and fat based, since you control all the ingredients. Pre-made mixes tend to be high in sodium and unnecessary sugar. But be careful, these add up fast in calories
• Berries and plain greek yogurt
• Hard boiled eggs
• Apple and nut butter
• Rice cake with almond butter or avocado
• Protein shake with almond milk
Yesterday, I introduced a new snack to my camps. After their tough workout, we sampled Snack Bombs by Veganlabs. My boot campers couldn’t get enough, with the Maple Chai being the favourite. These little balls of goodness are packed full of healthy, natural ingredients. Why are these the perfect little snack? There is no added sugar, no preservatives and low sodium. Just real ingredients. They are high in fibre to keep you full longer and provide some essential nutrients. They are vegan and come in a variety of delicious flavours. This is the perfect snack to satisfy after a challenging workout or just when you are on the go. Throw a pack in your bag and you’ll be fuelled for the day! Use the code JENNAFIT20 to get 20% off your order! Offer is valid for 3 months. https://www.veganlabs.com